T: 0161 358 0541
Laura has over 10 years’ experience as a lawyer, advising clients on all aspects of employment law. She has also advised on the legal aspects of business immigration law since the implementation of the UK’s Points Based System in 2008.
Laura prides herself on her ability to give practical and straightforward legal advice that helps her clients to achieve their ultimate objectives.
During her career, Laura has advised both businesses and individual clients on their employment issues, with her clients ranging from multinational businesses to household names. Most recently she has focussed on advising local businesses, SMEs and owner-managed businesses. She also works with individuals to assist them in resolving workplace disputes.
Laura advises on the full range of employment law issues including:
- Employment documentation including contracts, service agreements and handbooks;
- Recruitment issues;
- Discrimination Issues;
- Restrictive Covenants and the protection of confidential information;
- Employee relations;
- Redundancies and Reorganisations;
- Disciplinaries and Grievances;
- Managing sickness absence and poor performance;
- Settlement Agreement and exit negotiations; and
- High profile senior executive terminations.
Laura has advised a number of national and multinational organisations on their immigration law obligations. Most recently she has focussed on advising SMEs on immigration law issues and sponsorship, in particular, to ensure they are able to achieve their objectives of recruiting and retaining key talent.
She advises on all aspects of business immigration compliance from the prevention of illegal working to the specific requirements of the UK’s sponsorship regime. She also regularly assists clients with immigration compliance audits and Home Office inspections.
Laura’s expertise in this area includes advising on:
- Tier 2 sponsorship licences;
- Restricted and Unrestricted Certificates of Sponsorship;
- The requirements of the Resident Labour Market Test;
- Ongoing compliance issues;
- Policies and procedures for the prevention of illegal working;
- The immigration law implications of mergers and acquisitions;
- Visitor rules for business visitors;
- Compliance audits;
- Preparing for and during Home Office Inspections;
- Licence revocations and appeals; and
- Training on compliance.
Given Laura’s expertise in employment and immigration law she is perfectly placed to advise on the overlap of these two complicated areas of law, ranging from compliance with the prevention of illegal working regime (and what to do if issues arise) to the tricky area of dismissing a sponsored employee (including how to avoid potential discrimination claims). Her expertise will be hugely valuable in relation to issues arising from Brexit.
Laura has delivered training on aspects of employment and business immigration law (you can read comments on this here). She would be very happy to discuss delivery of inhouse training for your team.
Laura advises across a number of sectors but has particular experience in advising clients in the retail, life sciences and technology sectors. She has advised a number of retailers, including high street names on employment and immigration law.
To find out more please contact, Associate, Laura Darnley on T: 0161 358 0541 or E: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also follow Laura on LinkedIn.